Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Ty Update

This is Tyler not really feeling well, with a double ear infection, but still giving us that classic Tyler smile.
I forgot to write down how much I loved Tyler's doctors. Both the ER doctor and then the pediatric doctors on his case were amazing and once all three sat down with us for close to 30 minutes just making sure we were understanding what was going to happen and answering all our questions as best they could. Even though we didn't meet her, Ty's doctor was in close contact with a neurologist at Primary Children's and that made me feel good too. Ben and I also appreciated all the nurses who stopped to talk with us and answer any questions. We felt completely taken care of the entire time.

Around 1:30am in the hospital, Tyler and I were talking softly and he was eating a little. All of a sudden he started blinking his eyes really fast and said, "Mom, I can't see you!". I ran over and flipped the big light on and got much closer to his face and asked if he could see me. He wasn't really focusing on me and he said he couldn't see me. I grabbed a nurse and 3 nurses came in. They checked his eyes and started a quizzing game with the cover of Toy Story 3 dvd. He was able to find things okay and tell us colors and positions, etc. But it still freaked me out a little.

As we were being discharged we were given some specific instructions from the doctor: to help Tyler heal from the concussion we were supposed to keep the house dark, low or no lights, no loud noises (have you met Paige?), nothing too stimulating for his brain: specifically, puzzles, tv, games, computer, rough houseing. Do you know what a 3-year-old with no energy to play toys wants to do? Yep, watch a movie!
In regard to the seizures, we are supposed to keep a pretty close eye on him for the next 3 months and if that goes well, then hooray! I don't know if I'll get used to letting him play by himself for a long time. I don't even know how I'll feel about other people watching him for awhile!! When it comes to baths, swimming, and riding bikes/scooters, we're supposed to not leave him alone to do these activities for the next 3-6 months.

That's why we got Ty a few new toys. Kids want to sit up and play, but 3 days with nothing stimulating is a lot of boring play. At first Tyler would sit up and try to play, and even get a little crazy trying to get his old strength back, but those seizures really take a lot out of you and he was weak and shaky if he strained to do anything too much.
This is what you get when you tell a kid who can't move that well and has to be spoon fed everything that he also just has to be bored and lay there.
So getting a new boat and 6 jungle animals to play with helped a lot!
We have a very strict "no toys upstairs" policy...but my living room looks like a bomb went off. Which is great.
This was the afternoon on Tuesday and he was sitting up and walking all over the place.
And by dinner time last night he was chowing down and giving us lots of good Tyler smiles. I love those. I always have.
Ben tried opening the blinds up on Monday morning - and then immediately went back around and closed them all again. We didn't use any windows or big lights since Sunday. Until this morning. I opened the windows today and let some sunshine in, so that's helping my mood a little more. Tyler is happy and responding and when I have to leave the same room as him I just call out a couple times and he answers me happily. I let him cut paper this morning. He's so bored, but it seems like the ladybug game we played last night (Ty's favorite game currently) wasn't too much on his brain. He seems completely normal again. He even walked down stairs by himself today. (Of course I asked him to please hold tightly to the rail and I stayed pretty close!!) Right now we're going to go do a puzzle and maybe we'll be able to play with Trenton a little more intensely by the weekend. I feel like the concussion is better and we go double check with our doctor tomorrow morning. Please don't drop by unless you want to clean my disgustingly dirty house, because all we're doing is playing trains and puzzles and reading. It's a good day!
P.S. I am so glad the church put the scriptures and everything in a nice little app that I could use while in the hospital and for the few seconds I have inbetween getting meals and assisting every second of the day. I am loving technology for my mood and connection to other people. :) Thank you to everyone for your prayers and support - it's that two seconds of your time to write me a note that's helping keep my mood up and thus, helping Tyler too!

2 comments:

The Brown Family said...

Its so good to hear he is feeling and looking better with everyday, that would be so scary, but it sounds like you are really doing an amazing job!! We will keep your family in our prayers!

The Brown Family said...

I'm so glad to hear He is on the mend of getting better. That would be so scary to see your child have to go through this, but it sounds like you are doing an amazing job and what a lucky boy to have such wonderful parents!! We will keep your sweet family in our prayers!