Monday, August 27, 2012

Indexing

Ben and I used to have callings as Family History consultants, which mostly meant we taught a ward class and helped staff the FH center in our Stake Center. The time we were asked to be there was a great time because there were only a few people that ever came in during that slot. We liked that because while it's good to help people, often the people who were there already knew what they were doing and we did enjoy working on stuff ourselves.
Ben was really into learning to read some Danish words at the time so he could figure out his ancestors records. It was fun to help him figure stuff out and search on the internet for translations.
It was during that time that I got into indexing. I was doing it while it was still very new - they asked us to try it out as much as we could. I was pregnant with Tyler at the time and I was happy to do indexing. I ended up doing a lot inbetween helping Ben out when he needed me.
Fast forward several years and I've done a little bit of indexing here and there. The thing is I don't have that time where I have to be at an empty FH center sitting at a computer. The last few months I have been trying to challenge myself again and get back into indexing....at least a little. I put it on my desk day routine and if things work out then I try to get to it. I have started to index just one batch at a time, which doesn't take long, so sometimes I find I can do another one. I'm starting to remember that I liked indexing all those years ago when I started doing it to kill time.
Now they even have an indexing app. So, basically I feel like all my excuses for giving 15-20 minutes of my time a week to helping this project are pretty much non-exsistent.
Plus, it's actually kinda fun!
https://familysearch.org/volunteer/indexing

No comments: