Sunday, September 02, 2012

We Live in Such An Amazing Time!!

When Paige was born I actually still read my scriptures a little. I read only on my phone, but for a completely different reason than I had ever felt before I was so grateful for the time we live in. I ended up reading the entire BOM on my phone while feeding and rocking Paige. And I still was able to make notes and mark things. It was a good constant to have in my life at that time.
This January I only had ONE major goal this year: to read all the standard works. No biggie, right? Well, I've set that goal before and done it, so I figured it was no big deal. And then, in February, I got pregnant. Yay! But suddenly I had no desire to read anymore, let alone push through Deuteronomy all while puking and being so tired I felt like I could barely move some days.
I realized that I wasn't going to make this goal - or even come close. Until I remembered I could LISTEN to the scriptures. I was pretty excited about that. Of course since I wasn't wanting to read anything and everytime I'd sit or lay down I promtly passed out, it was really slow going. But I managed to listen to scripture while getting ready in the morning or while throwing some laundry in. Not great, but something.
Then came a few weeks into June and while I still felt sick and threw up occasionally, it wasn't constant and I got some energy back. I started reading and listening to scriptures like crazy. Trying to catch up, but not sure if I would. You see, on the schedule I was following about 60-70 new chapters are added each week. !!! Yeah, if I only read 15-20 that's not much of a dent.
But I kept trying.
In July when our family traveled to California, I brought several books and ended up only reading the bible the entire way there (and of course napped, too!). Then I started cooking again and would listen while making dinner and sometimes while scrubbing toilets (clean toilets are better if you must get on your knees to use them). I was getting closer, but a few weeks ago I calculated and found I was only 170 chapters short of where I should be.
I ramped it into over-drive. I tried listening to the scriptures every chance I got (and of course had to pause frequently because I do have three children after all) but I was getting somewhere. I started reading them in bed - just a little bit - before passing out!
Suddenly, at the beginning of this week, I was REALLY getting close to catching up. I think it was that realization that drove me. I listened much of cleaning day and on Thursday I did some canning and listened all that day too. Thursday, when I looked at all the jam and juice I had canned, I also realized I had actually caught up to where I should be for this week!!! I was so excited! And completely exhausted from being on my feet all day. :)
Now, I have actually read a little too and not just listened the last few days. It's been good to actually hold the scriptures again while reading, but I am so grateful they are available for us to pull up on the internet and on my phone and just listen to anytime I wanted. It was certainly the only thing that got me to this point.
Of course, I realize I have another big obstacle in my way: what happens when the baby is born? I won't quite have reached my goal unless I get ahead. Which probably means I'll try and listen a lot and try to pass a few weeks.
And then I'll use the last few weeks to just sit and read while I rock my baby....
Yep, we live in a very amazing time!!

1 comment:

Laney said...

That's so cool! I listen to the Mormon Channel all the time at work. I love so many of their programs and the app on my phone. Never thought about listening to all the SW's that way. Thanks for sharing!