Sunday, April 20, 2008

family time outside



Yesterday was so beautiful, so we really used the day well and worked hard on so many projects. Between Ben and I we planted the garden, transplanted the strawberries, stained the stairs handrail, changed the oil in the car, put away lots of winter things in the garage, cleaned out all my craft/sewing boxes, went shopping, and still pretended like we were taking care of our kids inbetween! Okay, so Trent's fine because he just helps right along with us. Tyler is still tricky because we can't just sit him on a blanket outside, but since he still sleeps quite a bit we just had bits of time to get things done together. I am tired and sore, but there's something to be said for working outside as a family. I love it! Every year I love the initial spring projects that get us outside all together and get ready for the summer. I'm excited to be able to have that time to talk together and to plan out what to do in the garden and yard this year. It feels so good to get your hands in the dirt and watch things grow.
A couple weeks ago I planted some seeds inside to get them started and had Trent help me. He's so excited to watch the green plants coming up and seeing them get taller every year. It's fun to watch his face and feel his excitement over simple, but truly miraculous things.
So, yesterday I was trying to get the boys ready to head out to the store in the afternoon and I saw chocolate on Trent's face from a cookie and turned to get a wipe just for a second and when I looked at Trent again he had the sadest look on his face. Then I saw inside his mouth was black and all his pretty white teeth discolored! I asked him what he ate, but could tell he was afraid to move his mouth because it tasted so bad! I kept asking and had him try to spit it out, but unfortunately I think he ate most of it. Turns out it was just dirt! I guess someone had tracked it inside and he saw it and thought he'd give it a try! Poor kid. I think he'll think twice about picking stuff off the floor again without knowing wht it is. I have never seen him do that before and I just couldn't stop laughing once I knew what it was. Oh, well...if it embarassed him enough we're probably safe on the next time!

No comments: