Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Christmas is Coming!

It's Christmas time!! After our family all getting sick following Thanksgiving, I wasn't sure when exactly Christmas would come to our home. Well, it made it today! Trent has been feeling the best the longest and has been watching out our front windows over the weekend and yesterday and our good neighbors are putting up Christmas lights all around us! Trent kept begging for us to have some beautiful lights too and then he started asking for a tree. Actually, I am really glad he feels this way since I get almost this giddy at Christmas time and I love having someone else to share it with now. He never says there's too much Christmas music - he always asks for more! So, after several hours of convincing myself and then putting Tyler down for his afternoon nap, Trent and I gathered all the Christmas boxes from the garage and started decorating. It was very worth it this year! To see his eyes light up when we put together the tree and turned on the lights and then to see how sweetly he "tucked" in his several baby Jesus babies was so good for my soul today. We had to have a Christmas chain! Then Trenton wanted to show all his advent calendars - we have only three this year! I'm excited that we had so many hours together today pulling out all the memories and creating new ones with Trenton. He was so excited to show Daddy and Tyler everything we did today. At one point today I had lots of thinking time to myself. Tyler slept several hours and Trent just kept hugging and playing all the Santas and snowmen ornaments. As I was wrapping the tree with lights I thought back to when Christmas magic would come to the Bradley home. It is definately my mother who instilled the love of Christmas in us, but each of my siblings brings something unique to my memories. I remember that after the boxes had been pulled from the garage rafters, the tree would be set up and I would carefully fan out each branch. Then as the evening would grow darker I would start wrapping the tree with lights. I never liked doing this part, but I did like that it was usually a task I got to do all by myself and it felt like after that Christmas could really come. Again, today, I wasn't looking forward to it, but having those memories of getting the tree ready for the family to decorate and then watching Trent's happy, excited face, it ended up being so much fun! This is what the Christmas magic does! Probably because of the beautifully decorated home I grew up in, I really love certain Christmas decorations. I love having several nativities around, lighted garland on the piano, and of course, the hanging glass balls! Tonight I also started reading the Bradley Family Christmas book that my sweet Mom put together for us in 2005. It has so many wonderful memories and our family traditions written down. It's now a tradition to read that book and cry and be inspired to make Christmas magical for my children.

4 comments:

Brittany N Travis said...

Aww, they look they had so much fun decorating. Oh and thank you for the welcome. I'm sure we will be able to get to know eachother very well since we are planning on moving. Can't wait to meet you guys.

The Woody's Fam said...

Looks great. I love the hanging balls, I have never seen that before. I would copy but I think my husband would kill me. Being 6' 6" he already has to duck to go in doorways.

I am glad to hear Trenton is feeling better but sad to hear you and the rest of you little family arn't. Our little house is still doing good, cross your fingers we don't end up getting it.

Are you planning on going tonight? I am sure you arn't since you are probably too sick to go. However, if you are and need a companion I would love to be one.

Sarah said...

How fun, and so cute. I still haven't put Christmas up yet...this autoimmune thing makes me so fatigued that by 6:00 I'm ready for bed...maybe we'll get it up next week...cross your fingers for me! :)

Neil and Kristi said...

Oh so fun, it's great to remember our family traditions, and how sweet that you remember so vividly the things your mother did for you guys. I'm sure she'll cry when she reads your blog, it's great for us mom's to hear sometimes, how we helped make your childhood special, and magical. Your mom is amazing, and you are doing a wonderful job raising your children as well, and continuing those wonderful and happy traditions.