Several hours of our Saturday were spent crying and laughing. No, nothing horrible happened, but just how we deal with things sometimes becomes rather comical!I am in this produce co-op (which I LOVE) and a few weeks ago we received onions. I cry every single time I cut an onion so I mostly just prefer to use dried onions. However, since they came in the produce that week I was determined to use them...eventually. Well, not much we had to do this last Saturday so I decided I would cut one up and add it to dinner and then just finish cutting the other FOUR and get it over with. I will only use onions if they are already cut up because it's such a hassle to hve no makeup left on and look like I just got out of a three-day sob session when Ben walks in the door. So, I cut one onion. Those were the strongest onions I have EVER used. Ben walked into the kitchen and immediately started hurting. Even so, I asked him if he would mind cutting up the other four onions for me, which he did (happily even!) before we actually ate dinner. I kept coming in to help him, but seriously, we just kept crying and laughing at ourselves. It was too funny. I'm so happy Tyler wasn't hurt by them because that would've ended badly. Trenton started to grab at his eyes so I put him in front of an open window and told him not to move. Then I just kept laughing.
So, Saturday we had half our windows open, in winter, the strongest onions ever on the cutting board and three of us in tears and laughter. Pretty funny night.
In other news, Tyler learned how to use a straw on Saturday. That made his mommy VERY happy!
3 comments:
Onions are the worst. After working for my mom making ridiculous amounts of food I learned a couple of tricks. First, if you refrigerate them for a day before cutting them and then cut them cold it makes a big difference. The best trick to know is to cut from the top of the onion to the base (the fuzzy part is the base) Most of what makes you cry is right by the base. I know those make-up less days all too well. Happy onion cutting.
Sounds like those were some wicked onions. Bless your hearts (and your eyes).
I don't care how you cut them they always make me cry! I prefer dried onion too!
Post a Comment