Monday, September 05, 2011

The Week of Moving

So much happened the week we moved. I really didn't start packing until about 9 days before. It was crazy, but better that way since we got to have Trenton's start of school a little smoother. Of course everything happened that week, as it goes with moves, but all in all, it was pretty good. I had so many wonderful friends offer help and come over. My friend Martha came over and fed my kids lunch and helped me break through my stalling on packing the kitchen. I was a little frustrated and panicked that day, but after she left, I felt like I had a handle on things. I also got help from Kahi who packed up most my food storage. That was another overwhelming job! My friends Tricia and Penny and Ben's Aunt Alison showed up on knocked on my door to clean. They cleaned cupboards and walls and shelves and cobwebs. It was awesome, especially since they didn't need chairs or stools like I would've. :) My friend Holly dropped off 5-15 boxes everyday and just kept them coming until the very last day. So awesome!! I had help twice with picking up Trenton from school my Carrie. That saved my kids' naps since we had crazy construction noise going on all week!! Our good neighbors next door and across the street were awesome with the heavy lifting. I did so much heavy lifting, but there's no way I couldn't done the piano with Ben and I alone.
On one walk home from school, Trenton ran into a chain link fence with his face... Tyler was wiped out after our last time at the ward on Sunday...going and going wasn't sitting well with him. About 6 pm we found this: Paige was pretty good and did really great with naps overall. Of course having a gate to lock her up or down while I packed was helpful too!
I felt like I was packing, cleaning, moving, AND doing remodeling. I realize many have done much more remodeling than us, but this was the most I ever want to do while doing everything else. We had new windows put in our basement windows. Not doing it ourselves was helpful, but having the dust everywhere was interesting.
I was 7ish when my parents redid the kitchen and bathroom and I remember work being done on the living room ceiling as well. I remember the hose in the kitchen and washing dishes in the bathtub. I know the windows was nothing like that, but everything else nearly did in my patience and calm. :) We got through it though and the windows are beautiful. I'm nearly a little sad to only get to use those beautiful windows a couple of times. But the new house totally makes up for it! :)
A HUGE blessing came in an offer from my mother-in-law, Paula, while we were hanging out in Flaming Gorge. She offered to come stay with us and help do whatever we needed. I jumped on that right away. I love her! Paula was amazing. I KNOW she must've been exhausted, but just kept going. She came on Tuesday during the kids naps. I was able to leave them down and get Trent from school. We got to visit and relax just a little. That was the last time! Final inspection day. Went great and we got to have a break from packing...:) Wednesday we got the moving truck, finished packing up the house, closed on our new house, and bawled out several people who were not doing their jobs correctly. Okay, Paula didn't bawl anyone out, just Ben and I! She was great and watched kids every second they were awake. When they slept she was right there working and cleaning and packing. She packed up the rest of my kitchen and scrubbed the stove until it was perfect. Wednesday night Ben & I camped out in the living room while painted dried in our room. I was completely exhausted. Thursday morning we got up and got to it. We finished loading the truck and pretty much clean out and packed up every last little thing. It was so much work. How did we get so much stuff!! I guess 4 1/2 years in the same place will do that. I told Ben I never want to move again. He's been saying that for years. Ben cleaned all the carpets and I cleaned us out of the kitchen and bathroom while the kids were, of course, watched over outside by Grandma. We got a call around 3:30pm that our house had funded...it was ours! Now we just had to finish and get out. We used every last space in my van, Ben's car, Paula's car, and were so grateful when Ben's sister Brittney showed up and took the last of the boxes and cleaning supplies in her car. :) The boys rode in the moving truck with Ben and we all drove over to the new place. Fortunately we had a lot of good friends and family waiting there ready to help. Enough thanks cannot go out to Marc & Jasmyn, Grant, Heather & Derek, and Paula and Brittney! You all rock!! We're there for you when you move!
Paula had been with us at the final inspection, which turned out to be a HUGE blessing. She was able to direct things if I wasn't around. She also directed all the emptying of the several cars into the house so I could focus on stuff coming out of the moving truck. Everything perishable got put away in freezers and the refridgerator because of her. She was great!
After everyone left Ben still had to get his car. Paula drove him back over and they finished up some last minute stuff while I put the kids to bed on their mattresses on the floors. It was fun to sleep in their new rooms for the first time...I kept having to tell the boys to stop jumping on the beds and go to sleep! :) Such excitement. (I have very fond memories of moving to my parent's current home. I was 9 and I remember eating pizza on the dining room floor, which was carpeted, I believe. I remember our friends the Johnsons helping us unload into the new house and I remember how big and spacious everything felt. I also remember mom putting us to sleep in sleeping bags on our new rooms with no electricity. WIth my Mom, she made it feel like a fun camping adventure!)
When Ben & Paula returned we all pretty much passed out on the mattresses and couch I set up. Of course the kids were up at 7am again! We got to work pretty quickly. Paula was awesome helping distract and play with the kids while we worked. When I was just too overwhelmed and discouraged to start unpacking the kitchen, there was Paula offering help and calmness and some objective views. Although we have been using paper still everyday, I am starting to get my kitchen down and am so glad to have some space! I told the family tonight was our last night of paper products...I'm actually going to use real dishes again. Oh, dear! I'm quite addicted after 12 days!!
Again Paula was awesome and watched kids all day. During naps and quiet times she wouldn't stop, but would ask what she could help with or would go scrub out a sink, the stove, cupboards, or whtaver else. We had her help for 5 days and I must admit that it was so great having her here that I nearly wanted to not let her go. But, of course she came up to help us even with several deadlines hanging over her. We owe you SO MUCH cleaning and packing hours when you move, Mom & Dad! Thank you ever so much!! We have so much produce at our new home. Trees, bushes, a whole garden: it's too much to deal with this year other than gathering what we can use right now. The kids are LOVING going out and picking berries daily. Friday night we were all so sick of fast food and quick food. Paula made us tacos and the salsa was all from this garden or our Provo garden. It was so good, especially after the week of blah. Ben & I would've certainly been going crazy with 3 kids and all this by ourselves. So nice to just start working and not have to worry about when to pick up kids - even from school.
*sigh* I guess now it's time to get back to reality and schedules and whatever our new 'normal' here will be. I'm ready. :)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Ohhh craziness. I remember all of that all too well. It's still fresh in my mind, and it was over a year and a half ago! I'm glad your awesome MIL was able to help you out, how nice! And I love your house, it is so so cute! I didn't even know you were moving until a couple weeks ago. I'm glad it all worked out for you :)

Laney said...

I cannot wait to see your house in person! I loved the Provo house, but this new one is swanky. I'm more than a little jealous of that kitchen and back yard. Holy space Batman! Family and good friends are the best. So glad you had so much help and are getting all settled.