Animal Preschool has been really fun and we have been learning about all sorts of animals - Tyler just soaks up anything (and remembers everything) we do that is animal related in any way. However, I was feeling like it was all driven by me and once we got going he didn't want to stop, but it was hard to jump start him some days. Which is fine, because he's four, but still, I remembered that Trenton could start school himself.....which is when I remembered what I did with Trent to facilitate that. We had a 'start-the-day' or 'calendar book'. Basically it's a list of everything to do to get the day started and they are so excited about crossing stuff off and being in charge of their learning day that they drag me to start school. The other great thing about these calendar books is that they can get started themselves - so while I'm throwing up and later, feeding the baby, he can get started and have a little focus. It's great! Of course all the crafts and projects and field trips we do are just a given that we do them. Those don't need to be included on his list.
We went and bought him new dry erase markers that are just for him and everything in this binder is in a plastic protector - so I just wipe it clean for the next day. 
Tyler traces the name of the day, the month, he finds the day of the month and then writes it out - in numerals and words. He is getting good at sounding out some of the numbers, and then always asks questions like 'why is eight spelled with all those letters?'. It's great! He reads a digital clock and we are learning how to read a clock with a face. He checks the temperature, goes outside and checks out the weather and we are graphing the days according to the weather. One thing I love is how fast they catch on when there's some order and familiarity to their day. We have been learning the Articles of Faith for awhile now, but I don't remember to do it very often. Now, Tyler can say the 1st two and I'm sure by the end of the week #3 will be in his mind. He's also learned the pledge so fast. And I have remembered that this is exactly how I taught Trent - repetition. Not new knowledge, just happy to have remembered it!
I often find little drawings off to the side - I am sure that doodles around the page will be something he does for a long time!
Another thing in the book is a plastic protector with some beads for counting and some flash cards with addition on them. Now that we've been working on them for a week or so he can do many of them without the beads, but he likes using them too.
We also have a file folder with all the words he has learned how to read and he goes over those. He also has a word matching game in the binder that he can do himself. If we leave to go somewhere we can easily slip a short reader into the book and he reads to me in the car. This book is awesome! I used pretty much the same thing with Trenton and loved it, but for whatever reason could not figure out what was different about this preschool year versus what I did with Trenton.
I am so happy to have figured it out! When he's gone through everything he can do on his own (I am around for the prayer, song and pledge) then he comes to me and tells me it's time to write or read or whatever. Of course I have the writing/reading portions all themed with what animal we're learning, but then he knows what is next and is excited to get to it. It's awesome!
2 comments:
If we ever have kids, you are going to be my go-to school resource! I'm pretty sure that binder is pure brilliance on your part.
OK - so what are you doing for math and writing? I know it'll be different for Hannah, but I just need some ideas. You're brilliant - thanks, sister!
Post a Comment