Monday was cleaning day...of course. Ben had some projects outside so I still moved ahead with my plan. At noon we headed out to see a movie with Ben's company. Trenton hasn't been to a movie in the theater since Tyler was 3-4 months old. Of course he didn't remember ever going. (Ben just isn't a big movie goer and after a few years being married to him, I'm not either!) The boys loved it and sat great through the whole thing...I'm thinking we need to go see Toy Story 3 in theaters. On the way home we picked up one last thing needed for Ben's project outside and after I put the kids down for quiet time I ran to the store. I had just finished several books of this nature: cooking once a month and enjoying not cooking the rest of the month! I have done once-a-month-cooking before when Ben & I were first married. It was great since we were doing the school/work thing full-time. Somehow I got out of the habit (I don't know how you let things go when you have kids!), but I am feeling so chained to the kitchen in the early evening. I am queen at crock pot cooking, but you really cannot cook EVERYTHING in the crock pot.
After I got home from the store Ben was still outside and the boys were fast asleep and I just couldn't help myself: I started cooking. I only cooked half the meals I wanted to because I hadn't made a Costco run yet and really needed cheese, but still, at the end of 3 1/2 hours I had completely destroyed the kitchen, packaged and frozen 12 meals and restored the kitchen to it's cleaning-day shine!
Last night was FABULOUS! I pulled out my sloppy joe mix and some frozen hamburger buns and we went on with our day. At 5pm I emptied the mix into a sauce pan and finished heating it (which took about 5 minutes since it was compeltely defrosted). I cut up a honeydew and served dinner. For the first time in forever I didn't have a full load to run through the dishwasher. It was weird....but so beautiful!! Clean up took all of loading the dishes we ate off of and then we were off to mutual and all else that Wednesday nights hold for us. Even easier than the crockpot. Crazy!
BTW, I did make it to Costco yesterday, so if you stop by and find that my house has exploded with another round of meal prep, at least you were warned!
3 comments:
I totally have been thinking about doing this. I think it is so smart but is it really worth all the work? Does the food stay good for a month? I think my biggest problem would be forgetting what I have in the freezer. You are really making me want to take a nap lately! You rock!!!!!
I love doing freezer meals right before I have a baby! I've never been a fan of cooking them all day in the kitchen though. So with my last baby I discovered something. Several meals I was making for dinner already I just doubled. I froze the extra for another dinner. It takes no extra effort to double a meal and I discovered so many dinners I could do it with! Pretty soon you have a freezer full of food for when the baby comes. I still do it every once in awhile now, and it's nice to always have a few things in the freezer for those days when you just don't have the energy to cook dinner.
But congrats on all your freezer meals! You are amazing. :)
i need to get back into my swing of at least Planning meals again. lol - life just gets too crazy!!
PS - the pear/raspberry pies really are amazing!!! i must be reading too much tartelette lately - all of her posts are like that!! (you've been warned. lol Ü i have to try almost everything! and they're all awesome french recipes)
Post a Comment