Monday, March 28, 2011

A few experiments

I have been feeling rather depressed lately. Pretty scarily depressed. It's weird...it's been a LONG time since anything like this has hit. You know, everyone gets the blues sometimes, but this is bad. I started getting so worried by some of the thoughts that I told Ben - which of course freaked him out a little. If it were a day or a week, that's different than the months this has been going on. Anyhow, instead of getting better, things have only been getting worse. And it's not like there's anything to be depressed or down about. I know I have it really good. I have an amazing husband who goes to work pretty happily everyday. Then he comes home and cleans up or pays bills or listens to me endlessly and doesn't complain. He doesn't even complain when he comes home and for the countless time he finds that no dinner is ready and his wife doesn't even seem to care. It's not that there's nothing to cook, but rather I just feel like it all doesn't matter. Besides, someone will take care of it. That someone is usually Ben...Then I have three beautiful, healthy children who are pretty happy and make me smile, but lately I've just felt no real joy about anything. I like playing with them, but that's after I feel guilty, force myself to play with them, and then half-way through decide I really don't feel that guilty and send them to play by themselves...sad. I have a warm home, a great car, good neighbors, friends, loving extended family who would do anything if I would just tell them, but why? I don't know what's wrong, so how would they.
I decided that all mothers and women must feel like this at some point in their lives. But I was creepily disturbed by the apathy I felt...the guilty would drive me to do something, but that was slowly receeding into a few weeks of plain not caring. Completely not like me. I woke up several times and deleted EVERY SINGLE TASK I had wanted to get done. If you were on my list to get something for or call, I'm very sorry that it didn't happen. Maybe I'll remember someday.
It's not like I'm broadcasting this on a daily basis. I stil get up, get dressed, and I even feed my kids. Sometimes a few loads of dishes get done by me. I do what I have to, but I feel like it's taking everything I have and it's still getting worse.
Anyhow, because Ben is a man and all men like to 'fix' things, it was discouraging when he would ask what he could do and I didn't know. He tried sending me out with friends or family to get away for a bit. Nice, but things kept going down.
Now things are still 'down' I guess, but I told Ben I would fake it. I know deep down that this discouragement and apathy are not of God and I know there should be something that snaps me out of it...but there isn't. It's only through pushing harder than I've pushed in a long time to strengthen my testimony that I am getting through some days. Pushing really hard right now isn't the same as studying for a set time everyday like I was doing at one point last year. Pushing right now is digging down deep everyday and asking for help merely to read one verse and plead for help nearly every second of the day. I glad I pushed differently when things were cheerier.
I recently found a few things that seem to be helping. First, the faking it really has gotten me through some bad days. Second, I built up my relationship with God when things were better and while I feel like I'm sucking that well beyond the dry stage, I know it's holding me together until I can crawl my way back. Third, I'm trying my hardest not to shut people out. It's what I want to do - stay in bed and shut the world out...including my family. However, I know that whether it's tomorrow or a year from now, this too shall pass, and shutting the world out isn't going to help speed things along.
I recently stumbled across a book called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. It's about taking one day at a time and doing things like singing & enjoying the moment. What I've read so far has really stuck with me. Another book, The Love Dare, by Alex Kendrick is helping me with my relationship with Tyler. It's for marriges, but since the book is basically a course in how to love - it's perfect for me and Tyler right now. I'm on day 7 and it's been the best and worst 7 days in a long time. But Tyler and I are getting along better as the days go on and it's healing both of us.
I know where the onslaught that I'm feeling is coming from and I know that I have to fight it, but it's hard to fight when you feel like you can barely move. It's strange, but depression really hurts you physically because your spirit and body are united. Al I want to do is hide.
I know why this is happening - it's happening to women all over. If the wife and mother can be brought to questioning herself and her worth, then of course that can take care of a whole family. So simple. And yet knowing that doesn't make me want to try harder... I don't know what the experiments I'm setting up will bring, but I know it will do something. Even when we can't see the results, our actions always effect something. I know there will still be plently of days of pretending like I can function and then not being able to. It's hard to have an eternal perspective, but I can still get a glimpse every now and then. I feel like I'm fighting just to exsist...that's okay, for now.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Amber!! I wish I was there to talk and help and bring you dinner every week! I completely know and feel for you 100% and I am so so sorry. Post-partum depression is so real, so scary, and so horrible. I had it after my second and third the worst and it hit the hardest around 6-7 months post-partum. The absolute feeling of hopelessness and despair are so real and scary and I completely understand. And I wish I could say some magical words that would make it all go away. I finally found my way back out on my own, but if I could go back, I would definitely get help. Talk to your bishop about LDS family services. I have heard they have amazing counselors and programs. Once again, I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. But, I promise, you will survive.... There is a light at the end of the looooong tunnel somewhere :) chin up.... I love you!

xoxo

Jasmyn said...

Oh, Amber! I'm so sorry, honey. I'm pretty sure without the gospel both sides of our family would all be in the nuthouse--we have depression and anxiety issues on both sides! And I apologize to Marc constantly for being crazy. :) I don't know what helps you to feel better, cause everyone is different, but don't be afraid to ask if I can help in any way! If more people would talk about it, I think we'd feel a lot more support--just know you're not alone! I think it's especially hard when you know you should feel happy and blessed and you just don't--but, I still think you're normal. :)

Love you - hope this conference weekend will help and of course seeing me lots this week. ;) LOVE YOU, SISTER!

The Jubbs said...

Empathy. Not sympathy, empathy. I've been there, and recently. Please come hang out with me! We'll do it together! It doesn't matter what you have to be grateful for, if you're in a funk, you're in a funk. Although I have found that it does help a little some days to remember to be grateful. Also, two favorite hymns that get me through... literally play these through my whole house all day long: I know that My Redeemer lives. He lives to silence all my fears and to wipe away my tears. It's not all sunshine and daisies all the time. He knows that. And Be Still, My Soul. Kinda helps with that eternal perspective thing, and picking out the things that matter. Anyway, I'm thinking about you and hope that you start to feel better. You have my number :)

Melissa said...

Oh Amber I'm so sorry. You are an amazing woman and I don't think you need to try to explain anything. I have a sister and sister-in-law that both had severe struggles with post-partum depression, and it seemed to hit really hard at about six months or so. Don't hesitate to get some extra help, either talk to your doctor or a counselor, I know it really helped both of them work through it. Praying for you!

Laney said...

So I've never had a kid so don't know what Post Partum is like. However, I do know depression. I know what it's like to feel like you can't pull yourself out. It SUCKS!! Don't try to do it alone Amber! I had to take something for mine to help me pull out of it completely. I had people tell me that I just needed to have more faith, go to the Temple more, etc. The Spirit helps, all those things help, but maybe you need some other help temporarily. You've been on my mind for ages and I've been praying for you. Now I know why! Hang in there sweet lady! It WILL pass. I agree with Sarah - see if you can find a counselor so you're not alone. It's not weakness, you're not a failure -- I don't understand the purpose of this, but HF does and He and The Savior will help guide you to the best tools to get through this. Remember that a silly goofy cousin in Texas is praying for you!! I love you more than I can say - here's my e-hugs -- OOO

Amy Eaton said...

Sweetie, I hope writing this helped some. Mine hit the worst after my third child also and it actually didn't hit until a year after she was born. So I am not sure if it is still called post partum but it was real and oh so frustrating, scary, and depressing;) Talking about it does help so I hope you feel some weight lifted by sharing your struggles. My low point was when I realized how awful I was being to my family. When I look back I hate the person I was becoming and even though my Husband was being patient and trying to be supportive I was hating him for it. There were days when I realized that my kids were basically grazing in the pantry and fridge because I hadn't been giving them formal lunches. I would basically check out when my hubby got home....it was a really low point and a place I never want to go to again. I don't know how you feel about getting on something to help you through it but it helped me so much. I got on Zoloft and it was such a blessing to me. I was even able to get off it for awhile and felt like I could manage just fine. But I know my limits so I was sure to get back on it after I had the baby and I have been feeling great. I Hope my story helps you a little bit to one know that you aren't alone and two to know that medicine is there to help and it doesn't have anything to do with weakness or lack of Faith. I will be thiking and praying for you!

argylesocks said...

Your faking it has worked so well. I feel bad that you are so good to me and help me with so much when you needed help. Let me know when you are up for a day of sunshine (no, I will not exercise with you) and we will meet up and let the kids run. Or anything else I can do to help, I gladly will within my current abilities. I love you. You amaze me.

Telitaadams said...

Amber, You amaze me too! I can't even tell you how you've brightened up my week over and over again. I get the sense that you're giving, giving, giving to others ... I'm so glad to hear that you're going to try to take time for yourself. It's so hard but so important. Much love to you and thinking about you. I wonder if this is why I was thinking about you this week. Love & hugs, your old roommie ...

Deborah said...

Amber, I love you. And Just an FYI: Your post has already helped some one in my family who is finding herself with similar feelings. I sure appreciate you and love you. I know that doesn't fix anything but I just wanted you to know. I love that you were the number one person I looked up to when we were running around in bonnets pushing wheel barrels. I always secretly wanted you to be my best friend and no one else's. Anything you said or did was the coolest thing.

Thanks for sharing your burden with us! I am praying for you Amber!