So, I've been wanting to write down my feelings about my young women. It felt so weird when I was released in June after having served in there for three years. I was the secretary for maybe a week and then the 1st counselor for a year and a half to three different presidents and then the president for the last year and a half. I do not immediately love people and I feel that way especially towards other people's children. I realize that these were teenagers, but it still felt weird to be a leader over them. At times it was crazy, and hard, and stressful, but I was always blessed to serve with women who inspired and uplifted and helped me focus on what we were really doing.
Now, three years later I am truly blessed and grateful for the opportunity to serve in those positions and to get to understand some things about me. It was a long time to serve and at times trying, but our family has been so blessed and I wouldn't and couldn't trade those blessings. The only time it got close to unbearable was when I was officially released because our ward had split, but they hadn't found a new president. I ended up 'subing' with no presidency and no sustaining spirit or guidance for 7 weeks. My awesome, amazing counselors and secretary were mostly in the other ward. I think I only got through it by having the soon-to-be-president and my former camp director along with one super advisor, both of whom never stopped helping me out.
I love the young women of that ward so much. I will always be grateful for the chance to really get to know and appreciate them. I am grateful that I have ties in place to keep in touch with them, to hopefully hear when they graduate, go on missions, or get married. Heavenly Father softened my heart in a wonderful way. I'm still not perfect, but I felt a little closer to Heavenly Father when I would give my all to those YW and follow the Spirit. Those last three years will always have a special place in my family's heart and mind.
P.S. Now Ben & I are team teaching in Primary. In fact, Trenton's class. I LOVE it. It's completely different, totally fun and a nice place for Paige while she waits the three more months until nursery. I cannot believe that soon Tyler will be in Primary. It's fun to watch my kids a little closer...a fun opportunity!
1 comment:
I will always be grateful that you were my daughters YW President. You influenced her life for good. Thank you!
Post a Comment