Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My view in the Kitchen

So, I don't think it's a real secret that I do not love cooking and baking. :) But I have been trying to change my attitude about it, since it's something I realized I would have to do, everday, three times a day, since Trenton turned 1. (Before that I could get away with not really feeding us and just feeding him baby food.) Anyhow, here's some tips for me:
1. Start with a clean kitchen. My kitchen is usually pretty clean, but it makes me want to actually feed my family something good if it's clean.
2. Measure out EVERY ingredient before you start cooking. I bought some tiny, tiny tupperware that works great for salt and other spices - up to a couple tablespoons. It's perfect and goes so smoothly!
3. Invest in a few cooking gadgets. I really love having a rice cooker - even though I know how to do it the other way on the stove, it's nice to put it in and walk away. And I also just taught Trenton how to make rice - which we both love, BTW! After watching one of mine & Ben's favorite shows: America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country, I asked for and was given a red dutch oven. I love my orange peelers, my onion chopper, dough scraper, and my super heavy rolling pin. Having these things that I actually use and really like make cooking and baking more fun.
4. I set a time once a week to bake something. Of course I cook because I have to, but baking is even less enjoyable for me. Until I started a baking day where I make from one to four things and just turn on some music and have a good time.
5. Try new recipes. I have a friend with whom I swap recipes with - just because it's fun! I have recently tried a few of hers and so I'm experimenting with some new ones this week to see if I can return some back to her. If you're stumped, think of your favorite restaurant dish and google it. SOme won't be the same for you, but others will be fabulous and you'll have a blast filling a binder full of your favorites.
Right now I am trying a new P.F.Chang recipe for Ben and wearing my apron, and having a good time to music. I do like creating good things for my family and so it's all about changing my view in the kitchen.

1 comment:

argylesocks said...

I need to work on a few of those tips. Thanks. I enjoy cooking, mostly the end result though, but I despise the clean up.