Sunday, September 09, 2012

Red Velvet Cheesecake

One of Ben's favorite places to eat is the Cheesecake Factory. I had never been there until a few months ago when we took Ben's sister out for her birthday, but with all the trips Ben has taken this year he has eaten there several times just this year and keeps telling me how great it is.
It was pretty good. I liked it. But the dessert was definitely delicious and I'm not a huge dessert fan. We even made sure we ate there while on our trip to San Diego this summer.
Our favorite cheesecake is the Red Velvet one. It's amazing! So, I decided to give it a try here at home. And, according to all the 'yummy' sounds I keep hearing and all the thank yous, it's pretty good.
 This cake was different from any cake I'd ever done before. Not being all that into dessert it's easy to see why I haven't decorated many cakes. I had never done a crumb coating before, but LOVED how nice it was to make a red cake have a perfectly white frosting layer. I know, not new for many of you, but fun and cool for me!

 So that layer in the middle is cheesecake and yep, it is just as good as it looks here....but probably even better! It's so rich that I know what will happen: we'll end up taking a week to eat half the cake and then end up being sick of it. But it was more about me learning some new cake skills and having a blast making Ben something he really does enjoy.
(All these posts make it sound like Ben eats sweets all the time, but those cookies were made weeks ago and our cookie jar is empty! And Ben and I shared a piece of this cake. It's fun to try new stuff, but we're just not huge sweets people - especially me. Maybe that's why I'm anxious to always try the new sweets recipes! Hmmmm.)

No comments: